Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Reflection on my past!






I’m going to first start off by explaining why I decided to enroll in Tidewater Community College. When I graduated from high school I had all my goals set out for me. Already enrolled in beauty school to become a Cosmetologist I was very much so excited. I never had plans on attending college because I would have my license doing hair. To me that was good enough and that was something I could settle for. With my first free summer set in front of me I had plans to work and save up money so I would be able to attend the school with no problem. Unfortunately, somewhere around July my dream of going to beauty school in the fall was shot down. Due to financial problems my dream of going to beauty school would have to be postponed till January.
While only a month into the summer I was already beginning to get bored and my mother was beginning to be the biggest pain in my life. This is when I decided to hold off on going to beauty school and attending community college since it was quick and accessible. A few weeks later I went up to Tidewater Community College, the Virginia Beach campus. Once there I took my placement test since I didn’t take my SAT’s. The reasoning behind me not taking my SAT’s is because I had no intention on attending any type of college. But now due to my laziness in high school and not having a backup plan I had to rush and cram to try to be enrolled by time the semester started. Once I realized I wouldn’t be able to make it by August I then set my goal to attend the second eight week courses.
Now enrolled in the school and in my classes for the second eight weeks I was ready for a new start. One of my first classes I attended was my English class. As excited and anxious I was to be attending my first college class, that all got shot down because my teacher wasn’t there. Although kind of sad I was a little happy because it gave me more time to prepare for what was about to come. Then the next class came. I attended the class with the same attitude I had on the first day ready to do work. But when I got there everyone was standing outside the classroom waiting. In the back of my mind I’m thinking great the teacher isn’t here again. A few minutes later a dorky looking kid came speeding down the hall, opens the classroom door and sits down in the class. As the rest of us students followed and sat in seat as well. After sitting there for what seems like forever the dorky kid spoke and asked if anyone knew where the teacher was. As few minutes later this dorky kid revealed he was our teacher Paul. A great and exciting way to start of the course if I might say!
That day began one of my most liked classes in my career of going to school. Having class with a teacher like Paul made me view school in a new way. Not only did I have a very good teacher but as well as a very unique class. You had me, the big mouth New Yorker who is very blunt and speaks her mind. Then you had a few foreigners that added a little spice to the class. As well as Ms. Sassy herself who sure wasn’t scared to speak her mind. Then Mr. Cool guy who likes to call teachers out of their name on the first day. Overall my experience in English 111 was a good one and I would take the class again!






1 comment:

Paul G. said...

Would you like an F so you can take it again? ;-)