Monday, November 17, 2008

Thoughts on Mcmillian's "How not to use Powerpoint"





As I sat in class one day, Paul announced we would be watching a video on PowerPoint. In the back of my mind I was thinking great! First we listened for a couple of classes on how to use ethos, pathos and logos. Now we have to sit through a boring video that’s supposed to show me something I already know how to do. While dreadfully sitting there waiting for the video to start, I then heard a man speak whose voice was very distinctive. When I looked up, there stood a dorky man who looked as though he could be one of my professors. But once he began to present I realized this video was going to be far off from what I thought it would be. McMillian took the approach of using humor to get his point across.
Some points that stuck out to me were the ones that dealt with the displays people use in PowerPoint presentations. For instance when talking about using too many graphics in a slide. Although there may be a lot of information that needs to be given, you shouldn’t have to squeeze a lot in one slide. This is one point I very much agree with McMillian about. To demonstrate his point he stayed with his humorous approach and proceeded to duplicate what these slides look like. Another topic he touched on was presenters putting their speech word from word on the slide. As well as McMillian, I feel displaying your speech in your presentation defeats the purpose of presenting. So overall I agree with the points McMillian was trying to get across. I feel every teacher should show this video to their students if using powerpoint in their class. Susprisingly taking a different approach on giving information such as McMillian does is effective. With that being said I give this video two thumbs up.








No comments: